Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mi corazon esta en Espana.

HOLA!
I cannot begin to describe my love for Spain, and I've only been here for three days!

Nicole and I arrived to Madrid with our friend Elly this past Thursday (the 12th) at about 3pm. We spent most of the first day just walking around the city aimlessly and gawking at all of the beautiful parks and buildings. I don't really know exactly what I was expecting from it, but Madrid was much more than I thought it would be! We also got our first taste of real, Spanish sangria- deliciosa! It might be one of my new favorite drinks... We also had some great tapas to go with it: stuffed red peppers with meat, gazpacho, green asparagus salad with almonds, cured ham with melted brie, and provoletta (melted provolone with oregano served with bread). Great first meal in Spain.

The next day, we took a free walking tour around the city, which started in the Plaza Mayor. It was a lot of fun, and we had the perfect weather for it- sunny and 75 degrees. We ate lunch at the Museo de Jamon for 2 euros, complete with a jamon y queso sandwich, cerveza, and a piece of fruit. When in Spain, eat a lot of ham because it is too good to pass up. For dinner, we had a calamari sandwich and cerveza at a restaurant in the Plaza Mayor that was good! And then, of course, we ended the night with some more sangria :)

Yesterday was our last full day in Madrid, so Nicole and I decided to end it with the two famous art museums there: Museo del Prado and the Reina Sofia. We had done about 10 or 11 hours of walking the day before, so we figured it was good timing to just stroll through some air conditioned buildings. At Museo del Prado, we saw some great Goya and Velazquez paintings, including "Las Meninas." It was really cool to see these paintings that I discussed in my AP Spanish class back in high school in real life. At the Reina Sofia, we saw some Dali and Picasso paintings, incuding "Guernica"- I never realized how huge that painting was! We also saw an exhibition by an artist form the 60s, Yayoi Kusama. Her art was so crazy, but really fun and diverse! If you get the chance, I highly recommend Googling her and checking out some of her stuff. After that, we went to the famous Chocolateria de Gines and at some tasty churros and melted chocolate. And then (surprise, surprise) followed it up with some sangria.

We just arrived to Barcelona about 2 hours ago and are going to do a little exploring, but have a lot planned for tomorrow. So, I definitely plan on getting a lot of rest later tonight. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment